This Halloween PMRP is once again reaching back to ancient castles, creeping ghosts and murderous madmen with Tomes of Terror: Lenore! And to do it we’re looking at the masters of Gothic horror! Edgar Allan Poe! Nathaniel Hawthorne! Edith Nesbit! Wilkie Collins!
- We are looking for original adaptations of existing stories. Edgar Allan Poe strongly encouraged, but other Gothic horror writers are accepted.
- The original stories should be in the public domain.
- Adaptations with some revisions, such as gender-swapping the characters, changing the time period or location can be submitted. (in fact we encourage female characters in your story!)
- We are not looking for pastiches or Poe-like stories
- While some humor is fine, we are not looking for parodies.
- The following stories are not available: “The Cask of Amontillado”, “The Fall of the House of Usher”, “The Masque of the Red Death”, “The Raven”, “The Murders in the Rue Morgue”, “The Purloined Letter” and “The Mystery of Marie Rogêt”.
- Submissions should be completed scripts in radio drama format. This performance uses live Foley performers as well, so remember the sound effects.
- Your play should run 22-25 minutes.
- There is a maximum of 5 voice characters on mic at any one time (we have a small stage). Crowd scenes do not count towards this limit.
- We understand that this is a horror show, but gore and adult content should be kept to a reasonable level. So PG-13 is fine, R is okay but NC-17 is right out.
- Previously produced material is allowed, providing the author retains the rights to the script.
- Up to two submissions from the same author(s) are allowed.
- Scripts previously submitted to Tomes of Terror: Nevermore may be re-submitted.
- Scripts may be revised as needed for the performance and PMRP retains all performance rights including director choice, casting and sound design.
Scripts need to be received on or before June 30th. Notifications about acceptance will go out by July 15th.
Please send your completed script to Chris DeKalb at firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format preferred although we will accept
.doc files as well.
Put your contact information in the script!
The Fine Print
If accepted PMRP pays $50 for the performance rights for the script. In addition PMRP retains rights to record and sell recordings of the performance, but all other script rights (including ownership) remain with the author(s). As noted previously scripts may be revised as needed for the performance and PMRP retains all performance rights including director choice, casting and sound design.
Rights payments will be sent on or before November 15th, 2017.
PMRP is not required to accept any submissions. In the unfortunate occurrence that none of the submissions are accepted Tomes of Terror: Lenore! will be performed with pre-existing scripts instead.
We look forward to seeing your work!
Tomes of Terror: Lenore!